A House Fire?! That could never happen to me…

imagesWe all know that they dangers of a house fire are out there but, we never think that it will happen to us. We also know that some of our habits are not the safest of practices yet, we still do them anyways. Here we have a list of habits that may cause a house fire. Some you may know and some may be new but they are all important!

Failing to use smoke alarms: Yes, fire alarms are annoying when you’re in the kitchen and you, shall we say “overcook” something but, taking those batteries out is not the answer. Fire alarms are there for a reason and that is to keep you safe!

Ignoring your homes heating equipment: As soon as the fall comes and that chill sets in we turn on the heat for the first time in months but, have we made sure that it is all in working condition? It may not be on the top of your to do list but, it’s important to make sure that everyone is safe as well as toasty warm.

Space heaters: Space heaters are a great way to get a little warmth without turning the heat in your entire house on but, they have been the source of many home fires. Never leave them running while unattended and be sure that your space heaters have the automatic shut off feature.

Small heating appliances: There are many small appliances that we use every day that may potentially be a hazard. Appliances such as irons, hair dryers, curling irons and coffee pots. All of these appliances need time to cool down after shutting them off and should be kept clear of other items.

Overlooking the Microwave: Most people throw something in the microwave and forget about it till it beeps and their snack is ready but, the microwave can cause serious fires. Things as little as a popcorn bag can catch fire and you may have a serious problem on your hands. Also never put anything with metal in the microwave!

Cooking in the kitchen: We all dream about that home cooked meal but getting that meal together may cause some issues. Leaving the kitchen while food is cooking is never a good idea but mixing oil and flames is a leading cause of kitchen fires.

Candles, candles, candles: we all love the smell and ambiance that candles give us but we all know that they are a danger. Keep a close eye on burning candles and make sure to put them out before they go out by themselves.

Holiday decorations extravaganza: Every time a holiday rolls around we can see all the decorations popping up but, will it be happy holiday if those festive decorations turn on us? Remember to water your Christmas trees daily, use battery operated candles in your jack-o-lanterns and never use fireworks at home.

Chimney Sweep: It is recommended that you clean your chimney every year to clean out the creosote built up from fires as well as clear and debris that may be blocking the chimney. It will not be a Merry Christmas is Santa can’t make it down the chimney!

October 21st, 2014 by Quincy Insurance Agency LLC